Subject İnformation
Author palmer7 Replies 11
Share Views 1
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newsreaders Doing Game Shows
I can think of two newsreaders who also announced game shows. Robin Houston from Thames and Charles Foster from Granada. Can anyone think of any others?
Bob Warman did the first revival of the Price is Right.

John Suchet did another revival, Going for Gold.
"This is BBC World Service Television."
Oh yes, Bob Warman. Not as good as Brucie or Leslie, but at least he tried.
Paul Clark took part in a 1999 game show on UTV called all mixed up presented by Eamonn Holmes
Jane Franchi was a BBC Scotland journalist/newsreader before she landed the hosting job on Superscot. When she left, presenting duties went to Jackie Bird - another BBC Scotland newsreader.
There are loads:

Richard Madeley
Alastair Stewart
Sophie Raworth
Fiona Bruce
Michael Aspel

To name but a few...
Goodness, yes I'd forgotten Richard Madeley hosted Runway. Had he started presenting duties on This Morning by the time he replaced Chris Serle?
No. This Morning started on 3 October 1988, which is during Runway series 2's run (5 September - 28 October).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runway_(game_show)

Clive Myrie is the current Mastermind presenter, and Dermot Murnaghan was the original host of Eggheads, which is now hosted by Jeremy Vine.
(31-07-2022, 08:28 PM)palmer7 Wrote: I can think of two newsreaders who also announced game shows. Robin Houston from Thames and Charles Foster from Granada. Can anyone think of any others?

Aspel with Child’s Play and Give Us a Clue

Derek Hobson (formerly ATV Today) - That’s my Dog (or was that Iain Stirling?) and New Faces

Chris Tarrant - not technically a newsreader but ATV reporter - done loads

Richard Whitely who did Calendar, of course.

A lot more in regional TV it seems
I can think of a few examples of newsreaders apparently brought in to add gravitas to shows that didn't deserve it (and which generally died the death pretty quickly).

Nicholas Owen on the dreary TV crimefighters quiz Watching the Detectives.

Kirsty Wark on teatime quiz A Question of Genius (and a few other things).

Jon Snow on Very Dull... er, Very Hard Questions.